Thursday, April 21, 2011

Stupid Names

So, everyone knows that Frank and I picked out the name for our little one - Ella Marie. I think it's beautiful, and it seems to have gotten a lot of compliments from everyone (or perhaps they read they previous post and were too afraid to say anything that I might deem impolite). But I hope that she likes it. What if she hates it? I guess that's what legal name change procedures are for.

On this subject, I would also like to discuss something - people that tell you the name you've picked for your baby is stupid. Someone that I know asked if I'd thought about names when I first announced I was pregnant, and I said I had, and that I'd actually picked out two girl names and two boy names. This person asked what they were, and I told her. On the last boy name, she snorted and said, "Don't do that to the child! That name is horrible!" (For the record, it was Henry Francis, and he would go by Harry.)

...

Seriously? I don't walk up to you and tell you that your cat's name is stupid or that your name is stupid. Here's a hint: DO NOT DO THIS. Even if I was naming my child Starry Haze. My baby is my business.

If someone persists in giving their opinions to me about these things, next time they look fat in something or tell me something incredibly dumb, I'm going to say, "Do you realize how stupid that is? My God, what a pity you're doing/wearing that!"

2 comments:

  1. That's horrible! Sure, there are names other people might choose for their kiddos that I wouldn't necessarily pick for mine, but that's their business, not to mention the right of the mother and father after 9 months of pregnancy! That's a horrible thing to say to someone.
    For the record, I love your baby's name--I'm sure she will too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happen to LOVE the name Harry :-) But Starry Haze should absolutely be your next child's name.

    ReplyDelete