Thursday, February 11, 2010

Frank, the tea cup sleuth


Well, I'm proud to say that my law review comment has been turned in. Will it get published? Not a clue, but at least I did it! So, enough of that, I want to talk about something more fun :)

As many of you may know, I absolutely LOVE to plan parties. The more fabulous, fantastic and over the top, the better! I've got several in the works right now, but my favorite upcoming one has to be the Alice in Wonderland themed Mad Hatter Tea Party for my friend's bridal shower. I'm going to have it at the London Tea Room, and there will be crowns, top hats, scones and tea. Truly fantastic.

So, while trying to think of a party favor, I came across the idea for tea cup candles - you buy old tea cups and saucers, and make candles in the cups! Naturally, I began the hunt for old tea cups in kitschy patterns - really vintage stuff. I happened upon an estate sale a few weeks back and found something things that were perfect! I only bought the tea cups (not the accompanying china set), and was really amused that the bottom of some of the cups said "Made in Occupied Japan". Well, of course the first thing I did was call my mom to celebrate my fantastic deal. When I told her about the cups and what some of them had printed, she screamed into the phone, "BABY DOE, GO GET EVERYTHING ELSE IN THAT SET!" Turns out that little Occupied Japan stamp makes those pieces ten times more valuable. Grabbing my purse, I ran two blocks at a flat out sprint (and you should know that I detest running, I will only run for a pair of shoes or an excellent deal) and bought the rest of the china, many pieces of which had "Occupied Japan" on the bottom. In fact, for nine place settings, I paid less than half of what one place setting goes for.

So, my sweet sweet husband politely listened to me tell this thrilling tale of my estate sale bargain and even ooed and awed in all the right places when I told him of the old ladies I'd nearly knocked over and how I carried around nine place settings of china in this old house to insure that no one else picked it up. I think it's safe to say that he's politely amused at my antics. I've spent the past few weeks admiring my new china pieces and serving dishes. Frank always makes sure to agree with me and tell me how lovely they are.

I continued the tea cup adventure last weekend with him, and we ended up at Goodwill (after much frustration with a bunch of old broads with their heads stuck so far up their fleshy asses that I'm pretty sure they'll never see the light of day again). After finding some tea cups and saucers that would be perfect, we went to get in line, when a small white fabric box caught Frank's eye. I watched as he reached over and lifted the lid and his hand froze. He quickly looked up to see if anyone was upset by the fact that he was messing with the box. When he ascertained that no one was, he put the lid back and leaned protectively over the box. I asked him what was going on, and he whispered, "It's that china pattern you love. Twelve cups. I'm trying to make sure no one takes it."

Well, I was so excited at that point that I was itching to get my hands on them and see if they had that magical little stamp I was so excited about. Frank continued to protect them from the greedy hands of others (he was determined that my greedy hands would be the only ones who possessed those cups).

Needless to say, I got the cups, and one of them had "Occupied Japan" on them. But I never would have found them if it hadn't been for my precious husband and his patience as I went on my grand tea cup adventure. It's moments like that where he jumps into action at the sight of something that I want to bad that my heart melts. Even if we couldn't have afforded those cups or none of them had that little stamp on it, I would never have forgotten how happy he was that he'd found something so important to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment